Telekom Networks Malawi recovers lost revenue with A2P ValueMax & SMS Market Intelligence
Like other Mobile Networks Operators, Telekom Networks Malawi has been vulnerable to the exploitation of “grey routes” from Application to Person (A2P) SMS messages. While a lot of effort had gone into the technical aspects of SMS security, network access, and blocking fraudulent messages, operators have been blind to the amount of traffic bypassing their SMS firewalls and the actual value of A2P SMS messages on their networks.
Fast Facts on A2P “Grey Route” SMS Messages:
- A company, such as a large corporation or a bank, approaches an SMS service “aggregator” to distribute bulk SMS messages to their customers
- The SMS “aggregator” charges what is considered a fair fee to distribute messages via a legitimate network infrastructure
- In order to increase their margins, the aggregator bypasses traditional SMS routes - using low cost “grey” routes to completely cut out the operators which actually deliver the messages
- SMS messages from grey routes suffer from reduced delivery success rates
- Spammers and scammers use the same grey routes - leading to the bizarre situation where a bank may be using the same distribution methods as a phishing scammer targeting their customers
- Companies increase their exposure to brand reputation risk by associating themselves with shady SMS service operators, spammers and scammers
A2P ValueMax & SMS Market Intelligence as a solution:
Leveraging its position as a worldwide carrier, PCCW Global developed A2P ValueMax. A2P ValueMax is an end-to-end SMS service that combines the best-in-class SMS firewall solution with an extra security layer that includes firewall setup validation, continuous firewall stress testing, and SMS Market Intelligence.
By utilizing PCCW Global’s A2P ValueMax and the associated SMS A2P Market Intelligence, Telecom Networks Malawi (TNM) is now able to better understand the market price for its network, efficiently maximize its A2P SMS revenues, and accurately assess demand and pricing for SMS A2P messages to their native mobile subscribers. As a result, A2P ValueMax has provided TNM with the ability to recover lost revenue and minimize fraud.
“We embarked in a partnership with PCCW Global over nine years ago based on commercial conditions, reliability, and efficiency in terms of operations and services. Over this period, PCCW Global has demonstrated a very high flexibility and significant customer focus not only for major projects, but also specific solutions delivered in our highly challenging industry and environment. PCCW Global has proved its ability to execute such complex projects and we trust that PCCW Global’s connectivity services will meet our evolving demands and customer needs in the long term.”
Arnold K. Mbwana, Chief Risk and Audit Officer, Telekom Networks Malawi PLC